Sometimes you oversleep your alarm and showering is simply not an option; or maybe you are just having a bad hair day. Fortunately the messy bun is becoming a trendy hairstyle that has offered women a solution. Although the messy bun looks cute and charming tousled and slightly unkempt – the true trick to the messy bun is making sure it doesn’t look messy.
A messy bun is perfect for any hair type, although it does work particularly well if your hair has some wavy or curly texture, but if your hair is straight then no worries. You can wear the sleek strands in a bun or add some styling mousse for texture. Let’s take a look at how to do a cute messy bun.
You Will Need:
- Hair Tie
- Hair Spray
- Mousse/Volume Boost
- Detangle/Leave-In Conditioner
- Bobby Pins
1. Start with dry hair. Before you begin on the bun you want to give your hair some added texture. You can use volumizing foam or mousse to get the desired texture effect. If you have fine hair then don’t use too much product, but if you have curly hair then you will want to use a little more for more manageable hair. Use detangle/leave-in conditioner for shine.
2. Gather your hair and put it in a ponytail. On the last loop through the hair tie instead of pulling it all the way through leave the ends sticking out towards your face.
3. Grab the ends sticking out and wrap them around the ponytail. This will create the bun shape.
4. Pin the loop on top of the head. Play with it until it looks the way you want it to.
If you want to style your hair in a messy bun then perhaps you don’t want to spend time styling it by using bobby pins, styling mousse, and hairspray. Here is a simple way to create a no-fuss messy bun.
A Product-Free Option
You Will Need:
- Hair Tie (x2)
- Teasing Comb
- Bobby Pins (Optional)
1. Flip your head over and gather your mane into a ponytail. Choose exactly where but we recommended on top of your head for a really cute messy bun.
3. Take a teasing comb and slightly tease the ponytail.
3. Wrap your hair around the band, once you like the knot created then secure with a second hair tie.
4. Loosen it up or leave the end out for a cute messier look.
5. Secure with bobby pins if necessary. (Optional)
Remember you can always dress up a messy bun by adding some fun hair accessories or even a statement necklace.